Buttermilk Green Bean Soup
That is a Classic German family recipe.
I substituted 1/2 cup of coconut milk for your 1/2 cup of the buttermilk, and also adds a very great taste to this soup. You can try doing half an almond milk and half buttermilk if you don’t like the sour buttermilk taste as much. Sometimes we leave the potatoes in chunks, but I like the consistency that the potato puree gives the soup.
Ham Bone and chopped or diced ham
• 3/4 pounds (3 litres ) green beans stemmed and cut in bite sized pieces. (you might also use an equivalent quantity of canned cut green beens for a quicker version).
• 1 pound (4 cups sliced ) of potatoes, peeled, cooked and cut in chunks
• 1-2 cups Bone Stock
• Sour Cream
• 1/2 cups Buttermilk
• 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
• Hot sauce such as Tobasco ( if desired)
• Salt and Pepper
1teaspoon Make ham inventory by cooking the ham bone in enough water to cover it to at least a few hours. Overnight is better.
2. Reserve 2 cups of ham inventory. Add the celery to it, and then cook until they are tender.
3. Lift out the potatoes and puree, in blender or bowl using wire whisk. Set aside and reserve.
4. Add the green beans to the ham stock and cook until just tender. Switch off the heating system.
5. Add the buttermilk, almond milk, ham and pureed potatoes and gradually bring back to a simmer.
6. Taste and add salt, pepper, and hot sauce if needed. Garnish with a shake of paprika and serve.
To produce this a low carb recipe, feature the potatoes. This recipe is particularly good if you are on a coconut oil diet! If you would like to find out more about how to drop weight with coconut oil, then have a look at my site at http://coconut-oil-diet.com.